Monday, 27 August 2007

Millet Risotto

Serves 1

1 small onion
1 small carrot
50-60g millet
10g soft vegetable margarine
1 bay leaf
125ml water
sea salt
yeast extract

Chop the onion and dice the carrot. Rinse the millet under hot running water (otherwise it can sometimes taste slightly bitter), and fry it in the hot fat with the onion and carrot. Add salt, bay leaf and yeast extract and pour on the boiling water. Bring back to the boil, then cook over a very low heat for 20-30 minutes.

This risotto goes with all vegetable dishes and with soya ragout.

***
I think this is the first time I've cooked millet and I wasn't sure what to expect from it. Mine was definitely a little on the al dente side and I'm not sure if it was supposed to be.
It didn't feel like a very big portion but I was really full afterwards.
It might not be dinner party fare, but it was quick and easy to prepare and quite wholesome, all from really stock ingredients.

No comments: