Saturday, 24 November 2007

Broccoli Soup

Serves 6-8

1 medium onion, sliced
2 tbsp oil
pinch of tarragon
salt and pepper
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
3 pints vegetable stock
700g broccoli, cut into 5cm lengths
175g Scottish Cheddar or Dunlop, grated
chopped parsley

Fry the onion in the oil until soft. Add the tarragon, salt and pepper, and cook for a little longer before adding the potatoes and half the stock.
Cover the pan, and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the remaining stock with the broccoli and simmer until the potatoes begin to break up. Liquidise the mixture and return it to a clean pan. Check the seasoning, re-heat and stir the grated cheese in just before serving. Garnish each portion with a little chopped parsley.

***
In my genius manner, I didn't move the pan from the heat before I liquidised. Now my liquidiser has that effect you get in vinyl if it gets warm. It's a really pretty shape though.
I also didn't add the cheese as I wanted to freeze a lot of it, but you know it was just lovely. My Dad agreed too, but then he's supposed to!

No comments: