Wednesday, 12 December 2007

Artichoke & Edam Bake

Serves 3-4

450g Jerusalem artichokes
6 eggs, separated
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp chopped parsley
225g Edam cheese
butter and crumbs for preparing dish like a souffle dish

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/400F/200C. Boil the artichoke in their skins for 20 minutes or steam them for 30 minutes. Peel them while they are still warm and slice them into rounds. Beat the egg yolks with the tomato puree, paprika and parsley. Cut the cheese into very thin slices. Stiffly whip the egg whites and fold them into the yolks with a metal spoon. Put half the egg mixture into the bottom of your prepared pie dish. Lay half the cheese slices on top. Then put in all the artichokes and cover them with the rest of the cheese. Top with the remaining eggs and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden.

***
30 minutes was too long for my artichokes and slicing them was a little hilarious, although not so much for my lovely companion responsible for the slicing.
However, I really liked this, I just served it with a baby leaf salad and it was plenty for the two of us. It was really different and my god I forgot how stringy Edam gets when melted. I've made myself hungry now!

No comments: