Wednesday, 6 February 2008

One-pot Mushroom Risotto

Serves 4

50g butter or margarine
2 medium onions, chopped
225g mushrooms, chopped
225g long-grain rice
1 pint vegetable stock
sea salt and black pepper to taste
175g frozen peas
1 medium courgette, sliced thinly
50g pine kernels or cashew nuts, toasted
4 tbsp freshly chopped parsley, to garnish

In a large saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
Add the rice and stir well. Add the stock and seasonings, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes.
Lay the vegetables over the top of the rice and cover again. Leave to steam for a further 10 minutes. Add more water if it begins to dry out.
Stir well, sprinkle with the pine kernels or cashews and the parsley before serving.

Toasting nuts:
Preheat the over to 180/350/Gas 4. Lay the nuts on a baking tray and cook in the centre of the over for 15-20 minutes until lightly and evenly golden - timings will depend on the type and size of the nuts.

***
I've been really lucky with my cooking as I've yet to find something that I don't like. Although, I guess if you like all of the ingredients, you can't go far wrong!
However, this was really very nice and was well received!
I did use an arborio rice instead of the long grain though and I think I prefer that.
I also soaked some dried mushrooms for 30 mins before I started cooking and added those too and they just added a little something extra. Yum!

No comments: