Tuesday, 26 February 2008

Spanish Chick Pea Soup With Garlic & Mint

Serves 4

225g chick peas
2 cloves garlic, crushed
a handful of mint, stalks removed
a small handful of parsley, stalks removed
6 tbsp olive oil
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper

Soak the chick peas for several hours, then drain and rinse them. Put the chick peas into a saucepan and cover them generously with water; simmer until they're very tender, then drain them and measure the liquid. Put the chick peas, 1 1/2 pints of their liquid (made up with extra water if necessary), the garlic, mint, parsley and half the oil into the liquidiser and blend at high speed until smooth. Season with the sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and reheat gently.

***
I thought I was well stocked with chick peas, but I was wrong and resorted to using my frozen chick peas and I'm not sure if, frozen, they weigh the same as dried or not. Whilst the soup tasted good, it did feel quite thin. I was also a little impatient waiting for the chick peas to become tender. It seemed to take ages!

I froze portions of this and when I reheated some today, I added a spoonful of quinoa and that really bulked up the soup and it was really quite nice.

No comments: