Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Bean Cooking Times

I'm hoping this will stop me both trying to memorise this and trying to find the book that I knew I saw the list in once upon a time!

Aduki Beans - 30 minutes
Black Beans - 1 hour
Black Eyed Beans - 30-45 minutes
Borlotti Beans - 1 hour
British Field Beans - 30 minutes (someone tell me what these are?)
Broad Beans - 1 1/2 hours
Butter Beans - 1 1/4 hours
Cannellini Beans - 1 hour
Chick Peas - 1-1 1/2 hours
Continental Lentils (soaked) - 30-45 minutes, (unsoaked) - 1-1 1/4 hours
Ful Medames Beans - 1 hour (another new one on me)
Haricot Beans - 1-1 1/2 hours
Kidney Beans - 1 hour
Lima Beans - 45-60 minutes
Mung Beans (soaked) - 20-30 minutes, (unsoaked) - 30-40 minutes
Peas - 45 minutes
Pinto Beans - 1-1 1/4 hours
Red Split Lentils (soaked) - 15-20 minutes, (unsoaked) - 20-30 minutes
Soya Beans - 3-4 hours
Split Peas (soaked) - 30 minutes, (unsoaked) - 40-45 minutes

2 comments:

ex-CPN said...

I've always been frustrated by the interminable soaking/cooking times for pulses, particularly chickpeas. But last week I was advised to add ½ to 1 teaspoon of bicarb to the water when soaking. After a few hours rinse the beans and cook. My chickpeas took just half an hour boiling before becoming soft instead of the usual half a day or so!

Flibbertigibbet said...

That's really cool, I'd never heard of that before...
I just bought a whole book of household tips, I'll doubtless be blogging the food ones here!