Wednesday, 20 August 2008

Big Macaroons

Makes 9

2 egg whites
5ml / 1tsp almond essence
115g ground almonds
130g light muscovado sugar (or caster sugar - depending on taste)

Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment. Put the egg whites in a large, clean bowl and whisk until they form stiff peaks.
Add the almond essence to the egg whites and whisk to combine. Sprinkle over the ground almonds and sugar and gently fold in using a large metal spoon.
Place nine spoonfuls of the mixture, spacing them well apart, on to the baking sheet and flatten slightly. Bake for 15 minutes until risen, deep golden and beginning to turn crisp.
Leave the macaroons on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

***
I went with caster sugar, my recent discovery of the myriad of different sugars has left me a little flummoxed so I stick to what I know! I love how chewy these are, very moreish.

No comments: