Friday, 6 March 2009

Pea & Mint Soup

Serves 4-6

1 tbsp
Olive oil
2 Onions, sliced
1 clove Garlic, crushed
200g Potatoes, diced
1.5 litres vegetable stock
500g frozen Peas
30g fresh mint leaves
1/2 tsp caster sugar
250g Pancetta, cubed (or bacon lardons)

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions for 5-6 minutes until soft without letting them colour. Add the garlic and potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and gently simmer for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are softening but not quite cooked.
Tip in the peas and most of the mint, then bring back to the boil and simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and liquidise in a blender until smooth.
Return the soup to a low heat and stir in the sugar. Fry the pancetta in a frying pan until beginning to crisp. Roughly tear the remaining mint leaves.
Ladle the soup into warm bowls, sprinkle the pancetta and torn mint on top and serve.

***
It's safe to say I omitted the pancetta! But I left in with the recipe for the meat-eaters out there.
I had a hard time finding a recipe for pea & mint soup, I mean there were lots of them but some just weren't easy to use. One said a quarter of a potato, exactly how big a potato are we starting out with here?! Maybe it's the OCD in me, but I'd rather have something be quite precise in weight so I know I'm on the right track.
Oh, and I also omitted the caster sugar. Only because I forgot, I have a deep love of sugar usually.

Anyway, I just love the smell of this when it's cooking. Absolutely delicious, and such a wonderful colour when it's done. It froze, defrosted and reheated wonderfully. I read that it can be served cold, but I have issues with cold soup. I like my soup hot. I just do. I'm weird that way.

Taken from: The Internet!

No comments: