Sunday, 19 April 2009

Lentil Soup

Serves 6

2 medium onions, finely chopped
250g carrots, finely chopped
110g red lentils
3 pints vegetable stock
fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp brown sugar *
2 tbsp malt vinegar *
1 bay leaf *
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish

Put the soup ingredients into a saucepan, cover, bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables and lentils are tender. Cool a little, then puree in a liquidiser.
Reheat and serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.

***
This is intended to be made with the stock left from cooking a gammon joint, but as a vegetarian, gammon obviously isn't on the menu so I made it with a regular vegetable stock, but I added the ingredients marked * as they were required for the gammon stock and I thought it was worth adding them to the recipe to see how it tasted. And I liked it.
Although, I did make an error. I'd been reading a number of lentil soup recipes and misread this one, adding green instead of red lentils, so it didn't liquidise as well, but it was still tasty!


Taken from: Book of Soups

No comments: