Thursday, 18 June 2009

Elderflower Cordial

I really love elderflower cordial so am going to try a variety of recipes and see which one I like best! I'd better get a move on before it's all gone and does anyone have a walking stick? I'm apparently quite short and struggling to reach some of the branches!

For 2 x 750ml bottles

1.35kg granulated sugar
flowers from 15-20 elderflower heads
2 oranges, thinly sliced
2 lemons, thinly sliced
2 limes, thinly sliced
30g tartaric (or citric) acid

Put 1.15 litres water and the sugar in a saucepan, and dissolve the sugar completely before bringing to the boil. Add the flowers and return the water to the boil. Remove from the heat immediately.
Thinly slice the fruit into a large bowl or jug. Add the tartaric acid and pour over the hot syrup and flowers.
Stir well and cover loosely. Leave for 24 hours.
Strain into warm sterilised bottles and seal.
This keeps for a couple of months in the fridge. If you make plenty, pour some into plastic bottles and freeze. It will last for years.

***
This had a distinctly fruity edge to it as you'd expect and it was really lovely.
However, I did misread the recipe and used 1.5 litres of water instead of 1.15 but it came out ok in the end, I will be having another go with the right amount of water! I put both of mine in the freezer so I'm looking forward to those, but possibly because I messed up the amount of water, I ended up with a much greater quantity than stated here. I've got 2 lots of 2 litre bottles in the freezer!

Taken from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook

No comments: