Tuesday, 30 June 2009

Shepherdess Pie

Serves 4

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
2 celery stalks, trimmed and finely sliced
1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
350g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into bite-sized pieces
450ml vegetable stock
410g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
410g can black-eye peas, drained and rinsed
2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
4 tomatoes, sliced in half
1 dsp arrowroot powder
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Steam or boil the sweet potatoes for 10-15 minutes until completely tender.
Place 2 tbsp of water in a medium-sized saucepan with the oil, garlic, celery and onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the squash and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the beans, peas, peppers, courgettes and tomatoes and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Mix the arrowroot with a little water and add along with the parsley.
Drain the sweet potato and mash.
Transfer the filling to a pie dish and top with the sweet potato mash.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until the sweet potato begins to brown.
Serve immediately.

***
I followed the recipe, I used the quantities it quotes but there was no way in hell this was fitting in any of my pie dishes. This was huge. HUGE. I had to use a lasagne dish AND another dish just to get it all in the oven. My friend came over to eat with me and we ate pretty big portions, and I still had masses left over for the freezer, it could comfortably serve at least 5 or 6 to my mind. I also found that the sweet potato mash never really browned and I left it in for more than twice as long as the recipe stated.

Taken from: You Are What You Eat Cookbook by Dr Gillian McKeith

No comments: