Thursday, 20 August 2009

Saganaki

Serves 6

600g feta cheese (3 packs), broken into rough 2cm pieces
20 large or 30 small cherry tomatoes
20 capers
15 kalamata olives, halved and stoned
2 tbsp olive oil
6 sprigs of thyme or marjoram

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6, pbut the cheese into a shallow ovenproof dish with everything else and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and browning on top.

***
So very good, makes an excellent lunch!
I served it with warmed naan bread and it was just heavenly.

She states that you can cook this in individual foil parcels on an open fire, so I bet it would work brilliantly in a barbecue too.

I didn't make this for 6, there were just a couple of us, so whilst I obviously reduced the amount of cheese (I mean I love cheese, but that would just be going too far!) and had a few less tomatoes, I didn't reduce the olives or capers and for me it was fine. Maybe to a posher palate it wouldn't be spot on, but hell, we cleared the dish!

Taken from: Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook

No comments: