Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Blueberry (Or Blackcurrant) Muffins

Makes 8


115g plain flour
15ml/1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
65g soft light brown sugar
1 egg
175ml milk
45ml/3 tbsp vegetable oil
10ml/2 tsp ground cinnamon
150g fresh or thawed frozen blueberries or blackcurrants


Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Thoroughly grease eight muffin tins.
With an electric mixer, beat together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, egg, milk, vegetable oil and cinnamon until smooth.
Fold the blueberries or blackcurrants into the flour mixture until just evenly combined.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins, filling them about two-thirds full. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then transfer the buns to a wire rack to cool completely.



***
So these are easily the best muffins I've ever made, but still not perfect.
I didn't grease the tins, because honestly, it just seems so much easier to use the paper wrappers. I can't see that it affects their cooking at all. Maybe I should try without and see. I feel as though there might have been a few too many blueberries that made the inside of the muffin soggier than it could have been. I see experimentation in my future.

Taken from: The Cookie & Biscuit Bible

No comments: